Our Environmental Stance

Four Design Standards

Our eco-design philosophy is governed by our four design standards:

1. The products we design and make shall comfort and inspire our clients.

2. The products we design and make shall be borrowed from, and later returned safely to earth.

3. The products we design and make shall not harm human beings present and future.

4. The products we design and make shall be of long lasting quality and beauty.


Never Obsolete

Horizontal designs with replaceable parts that anticipate future innovations. Our natural material choices and eco-engineering make planned obsolescence, obsolete. The result is a bed that can forever be maintained and restored. Horizontal may be the last bed you ever purchase.

Renewable design for every night of your life, made from natural materials of integrity that rejuvenate your spirit with each sunrise.


Biodegradable

The presence of DNA in our materials confirms they are 1) created by biological processes, 2) already a design ‘approved’ by nature, 3) contain valuable nutrients for future life, 4) safely biodegrade, and 5) are not toxic petrochemicals.

Our un-compromised natural materials harm no one and after their useful time has passed they return safely into Earth. Today’s Horizontal bed is 99.9% biodegradable. That remaining 0.1%? We’re working on it.


Wool

Comfortable, resilient, long lasting and chemical free, wool regulates body temperature, warms, cools, and keeps you dry. It resists mould, mildew, and discourages dust mites.

Wool is the soft, lofty batting within the top surface of our bed. We also apply a layer of needled wool as a natural fire barrier. By working naturally, no sketchy petrochemical concoctions are needed!


Hardwood

Our bed frame is built to last, and last. It’s the same hardwood used to make the original baseball bats, northern white ash. Inspired by ancient Japanese joinery, the Horizontal bed frame slides together and interlocks. No need for metal or plastic parts.

With reasonable care, your Horizontal bed frame will deliver you, and perhaps your descendants, a lifetime of great sleep.


Organic Botanical Latex

Organic botanical latex is the most natural, longest lasting cushioning material for mattresses. It is less expensive in the long run. Our latex is made to Global Organic Latex Standards (GOLS). We specify the Dunlop process and don’t use any Talalay latex because it is contaminated with synthetic chemicals and emits too much CO2 during production.

Organic botanical latex plantations offset 90 million tonnes of CO2 annually. That, and the absence of petrochemicals helps us sleep at night.


Cotton

Our calm blue signature textile covering is made to Global Organics Textile Standards (GOTS) by our certified supplier. It’s made of high quality 100% long staple cotton. Together with the layers of wools, cotton encased components, natural latexes and flexible hardwood suspension below, your sleeping surface is fully grounded in nature’s best materials. Inside, the textiles you can’t see are all 100% natural, un-dyed cotton or wool. Horizontal is a toxic-free sleeping environment.


Designed in Deep Cove

At the south end of the most southerly fjord on the Pacific West Coast steep valleys, trees, rivers and streams are still here. Bear, cougar and deer also. 10,000 years after first encamping here, the Tsleil-Waututh people continue to live in this place.

Horizontal’s eco-design philosophy is informed by rich experiences and influences from around the world. Deep Cove provided the sense of place to conceive the most comfortable, healthiest, most environmentally considerate sleeping experience for humans in the 21st century.